Friday, June 04, 2010

Class Magazines


Listen The pioneer magazine published by Sarosh Hamid Khan, an outgoing and energetic member of our class. I still remember the cover. It had a big ear on it. It had one article that I remember. It was written by a close friend of mine—Nasir  Javed. He described the scene of the Physiology lecture theater, which Naghmi Shirin recently recalled in her comments. It was a funny article, and I still remember the first line…it was Ghora! Ghora!
I too wrote an article but it missed the deadline of publication. Listen was followed by a magazine whose name I cannot recall and that is embarrassing, because that is where my article finally got published. I learnt about the magazine from my friends Javed Ajmal and Kamran Hameed. When the magazine came out, I was surprised by one thing. At the end of every name the word ‘Sheikh’ appeared. Nauman Sheikh was the editor of course. But Javed Ajmal became Javed Ajmal Sheikh and Kamran Hameed became Kamran Hameed Sheikh. In fact I was the only ‘non-Sheikh’ in the whole magazine. Some thought I was a ‘Sheikh-in-hiding’. Needless to say the magazine was dubbed ‘Sheikhon-ki-Sheikhian’ – a fact I learnt from my ‘secret informer’—Rameez. By the way, the article I wrote was about the scene in Anatomy Dissection Hall. It was titled ‘Two hours with the Dead’. However there were only two people that I know of that actually read that article. And one of them was me!
Vision: I had forgotten the name of this magazine, until a few days ago my friend Wajih Zaheer mentioned it a few days ago. Wajih knows a lot more about this than I do and I hope he or the authors of the magazine come forward and describe it for us. If I am not mistaken, this magazine came out after our famous Mangla Trip that Naveed Yazadani remembered in his recent comments. I remember that it had a questionnaire about the trip and goals in life. This was the only magazine where the girls participated with comments. Perhaps it was the charisma of the authors… Anyway, some comments I remember to this day.  In response to the Mangla trip someone recalled the ‘Thanday nan aur garam botallain’ another recalled ‘the fish that one of the demonstrators caught’ but no one could top the comment made by a girl who wrote in response to goal of life…’Ayaashi!’
Unpublished poetry. So far I have mentioned anonymous poem ‘Battain Humary Ghor se sun Lo’. But at least it got published. Now I would direct you to anonymous poems that were not published. The first one went like this.
Ik patta gira, aawaz huey na shoor huwa
Dil mera bhi kuch aisey hi…. (patta nahin keiya huwa)
The other one is actually in English. It goes ‘One you are the only ONE’
I promise you the authors shall not be revealed unless they themselves choose to do so!
Request Please if anyone has saved a copy of any of the magazines; please share them with the rest of us.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usman Qureshi
    Informed me that he published the Vision magazine. I wish he had a copy. Particularly the caricatures of our class fellows he drew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comments.
    I wonder if anyone else has a copy of Vision or Listen.

    Usman you are officially assigned the role of our Artist.

    Please draw something comparing 1980s to 2010 for our Blog.
    Others in favor who have some influence on Usman. This is your job to make him.

    I also wanted to issue a correction. 'Ik patta Gira' is a published work of Dr. Agha Humayyun Arif.

    Agha Ji: 'The Shaiar inside, never leaves. He may be asleep though. It is time to wake him up!'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your time and call it was very refreshing to talk to you after a long time.best wishes always.Anees

    ReplyDelete